[Soot-list] Question

Eric Bodden eric.bodden at ec-spride.de
Tue Jan 15 03:15:12 EST 2013

Hi Zeinab.

In Soot you can use the class SimpleLocalDefs to compute use-def
chains, which is probably what you asked for.

But I agree with the others that it will only give you an
approximation (that may be unsound, depending on how you use it).
Taint analysis for Java is a hard problem that usually requires
pointer analysis and a sophisticated treatment of fields, arrays, etc.
Simple use-def or def-use chains don't give any of this.

Eric

On 14 January 2013 21:39, Zeinab Lashkaripour <lashkaripour at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Don't you think that I can find those objects and work with the variables
> they have used?
> Due to the short time that I have and that I don't have taint propagation
> just like I have reaching defs in Soot, Isn't reaching defs better?
>
> Best Regards,

Eric Bodden, Ph.D., http://sse.ec-spride.de/ http://bodden.de/
Head of Secure Software Engineering Group at EC SPRIDE
Tel: +49 6151 16-75422    Fax: +49 6151 16-72051
Room 3.2.14, Mornewegstr. 30, 64293 Darmstadt