[Soot-list] Race condition in Heros

Eric Bodden eric.bodden at ec-spride.de
Fri Jan 25 03:02:07 EST 2013

Hi Marc-Andre.

We did have a problem with races in the past but not recently. Having
said that, it's quite possible there are some left.

> I'm attaching a screenshot. It looks like there is a timing issue between
> the notify and wait calls.

Well, the screenshot is not telling me much except that the main
thread is waiting for its result, which seems fine.

What problem do you observe? Do you get different results on different runs?

> I suggest using proper Java 5+ concurrency APIs instead of a homebrew one -
> says the guy who tripped his feet a lot on that :)

The problem is that, to the best of my knowledge, the API does not
quite fit the problem at hand. But if you have good suggestions on how
else to coordinate the threads, please be my guest.

> I can spend a bit of time on it tomorrow if nobody sees an obvious fix until
> then :)

I just wished there was a truly usable race detection tool.