[Soot-list] summary of 2013 SOAP workshop discussions

Rohan Padhye rohanpadhye at cse.iitb.ac.in
Fri Jul 19 05:03:20 EDT 2013

On 2013-07-16 05:41, Patrick Lam wrote:

>>>   * Write a Jimple verification pass that checks for
>>>      accesses to uninitialized fields in constructors.
>>>   * Jimple/source code links are popular as always;
>>>      we should use the scope attribute with use-original-names.
>>
>> What do you mean with "scope attribute"?
>
> I don't know about this firsthand, but it seems like Java bytecode
> says
> something about scopes in the Java source code, and we could leverage
> that to assign more accurate names.

The "use-original-names" option probably uses the optional class file
attribute LocalVariableTable to map variable names to their slots. This
same attribute also has, for every local variable, a "start_pc" and
"length" which can be used to determine the range of instructions over
which the variable is in scope.

This information might be useful in things like differentiating
distinct variables with the same name and same type but in different
scopes, as well as maybe a crude indication of live ranges.

--
Regards,
Rohan Padhye