[Soot-list] Difference between slicing and reaching definition

Zeinab Lashkaripour lashkaripour at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 17 16:26:11 EDT 2013

Hi everyone,

I have a question and would be very grateful if anyone guided me.

Reaching definition is a type of DFA that we compute the definitions that can reach a point p in our program. On the other hand we have slicing that I think that it is some how on an upper level in comparison to DFA, but not sure? In slicing we extract the part of the program that is of our interest according to the slicing criterion.

What is the difference between RD and slicing? In both conditions we extract the parts of the program that we need. Maybe the difference is in the fact that we only consider assignments in RD while in slicing its not like that?
Do they have any similarities except the ones mentioned?

Regards,
Zeinab