[Soot-list] Summer of code: finalizing project selection

Eric Bodden eric.bodden at ec-spride.de
Tue Mar 5 05:49:38 EST 2013

Hi all.

Thanks a lot, Elena, for stepping up and offering to help with the
application process and mentoring. I also think using SOAP as a
catalyst for the projects is a great idea.

I agree with Patrick that parallelization is likely to be too hard. I
general, I think, it's nice to give students the opportunity to
develop something on top of Soot rather than having to tweak a lot the
existing code. That way they can be creative and are a bit more
disentangled from the internals of Soot.

Currently we have three other proposals collected:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/19CVbaPeqJHQm8XwSGBnK0RKn1XMRwmBoxODJIOIvD5U/edit#

Title: Soot as an instrumentation agent
Advisor(s): Eric Bodden / Elena Sherman

Title: A visual debugger for static analyses
Advisor(s): Eric Bodden

Title: Symbolic execution of Java/Android code
Advisor(s): Saswat Anand (saswat at cs.stanford.edu)
Initial code-base to extend: http://code.google.com/p/acteve/

The first one actually does not have a priority to me right now. Given
the limited time I currently have, I would actually rather drop it.
The visual debugger would actually be really nice and a priority for
us, and that would be a project I'd support.

Saswat would you still be willing to head the project on symbolic
execution? If so that'd be great. It would just mean that from now on
you would need to commit because we would be counting on you.

Would anyone sign up co-advising any of those two projects? Are there
any other last-minute topics you would like to nominate?

Best wishes,