[Soot-list] Instrumenting Android Apk

Steven Arzt Steven.Arzt at cased.de
Tue Apr 22 03:14:37 EDT 2014

Hi Sarah,

With the command-line you gave, you only ran Soot without any custom
transformers. This means that Soot read in your APK file, and wrote it back
out without doing anything with it. If you want to change the semantics of
your Android application, you need to register a custom transformer that
tells Soot what to change. This is explained in our tutorial. In addition to
the paper you are referring to, we also have some additional material on our
blog: http://sseblog.ec-spride.de/tutorials/. In the tutorial, the
“MyBodyTransformer.java” file implements exactly such a transformer.
“Main.java” contains the main() method and “Settings.java” performs some
Soot initialization. You may also want to have a look at our tutorial slides
which also give a good introduction into the topic.

Best regards,

  Steven

M.Sc. M.Sc. Steven Arzt

Secure Software Engineering Group (SSE)

European Center for Security and Privacy by Design (EC SPRIDE)

Mornewegstraße 32

D-64293 Darmstadt

Phone: +49 61 51 16-75426

Fax: +49 61 51 16-72118