[Soot-list] nullcheck/arraybounds annotations at the command line

Stephen Kyle jimmykane at gmail.com
Wed Feb 19 08:45:48 EST 2014

Hi all,

I'm trying to use the soot to annotate some (Dalvik) methods with null
pointer check and array bounds information.

Is there anyway to get this information when using soot as a command line
tool, or do you have to create a driver class for it?

For reference, I'm using the following invocation of the command:

soot -v -pp -allow-phantom-refs -cp <APK file> -src-prec apk -ire
-android-jars /home/skyle/jars/android/platform/ -O -p jap.abc on -p
jap.abc with-all -f jimple -annot-nullpointer -annot-arraybounds
-annot-fieldrw <Class>

Where I've been varying -f jimple to find some way of getting this
information.

Thus far, the only way I've been able to even remotely read this
information from the output is when outputting class files, and then
disassembling them with javap. I can see the created ArrayBoundsAnnotations
for each method, following the description of the structures in
http://www.sable.mcgill.ca/soot/tutorial/useannotation/

However, is there a way to get Soot to output this information in a more
human-readable form? I mean something like comments above Jimple statements
in the jimple output format.

Thanks for your time,
Stephen