[Soot-list] About Terms of Data-Flow Analysis

Steven Lee Elderry at outlook.com
Mon Feb 24 02:12:35 EST 2014

Hello everyone, I am writing a paper about Android Security. Then it comes
to a problem like this:

class A(){

    private static int a;

    public static void someMethod();

I use this example to show that if A.someMethod() is called somewhere, then
the value of A.a may be changed, or when the method and field are not
static, or there are some hierarchy problems involved in. I am going to
detect this potential issue through static analysis like data-flow analysis
with Soot.

Now my question is: how do I describe this in the terms of data-flow
analysis or class hierarchy analysis in Soot? I am using "side-effect" and
considering it an unprofessional expression. Is there a better and more
formal one?

Moreover, the data-flow tutorial of Soot is confusing to me. I'm following
Soot Survivors' Guide, the part of using Soot as a standalone tool is easy
to understand, however how do I use it as a data-flow frame? Should I
include it in my analysis program and call some methods in it, or is there a
more detailed example?

Thanks for your help!

Steven Lee