[Soot-list] doubt regarding optimizing using soot

Steven Arzt Steven.Arzt at cased.de
Wed Jan 29 11:39:29 EST 2014

Hi Rahul,

Soot already provides an optimization called “ConstantPropagatorAndFolder”
(implemented in a class with this very name) which might help you – either
this is directly what you need or you can at least use its code as an
example of how to implement optimizations of this type.

>From a user’s perspective, you just run Soot on your input program and
specify the transformations you want to enable using command-line switches
which are documented here: http://www.sable.mcgill.ca/soot/tutorial/usage/

>From a developer’s perspective, you write a new transformer which you
register in the appropriate phase of the transformation process. You may
want to look at this introduction into the concept of packs and phases:
http://www.bodden.de/2008/11/26/soot-packs/

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

  Steven

M.Sc. M.Sc. Steven Arzt

Secure Software Engineering Group (SSE)

European Center for Security and Privacy by Design (EC SPRIDE)

Mornewegstraße 32

D-64293 Darmstadt

Phone: +49 61 51 16-75426

Fax: +49 61 51 16-72118