[Soot-list] Early question: Soot for Java 8?

Marc-André Laverdière marc-andre.laverdiere-papineau at polymtl.ca
Sat Mar 1 13:52:24 EST 2014

Hello Hadil,

First, I'm glad to hear of another Scala user! I hope we'll be more and
more in Soot.

Coming to your question, Eric has been maintaining the Java front-end
and the latest update is for Java 7 and under testing.

We certainly would like to support the latest version of Java as soon as
possible, but we don't have a deadline yet. If you want to volunteer to
help, that would be great. The grammar part is not too hard, because
Soot uses an open source Java grammar. Where there is more work is the
Jimple generation.

As for Java 8 bytecode, do you know how major the bytecode changes are?
The little that I know is that there is a lot of invokedynamic, which
Soot already supports.

Marc-André Laverdière-Papineau
Doctorant - PhD Candidate