[Soot-list] [INSTALL_FAILED_DEXOPT] error after instrumenting apk with soot

Satyaditya Munipalle satyadit at buffalo.edu
Wed Mar 5 13:36:51 EST 2014

Hi ,
I was trying to load external classes into the apk using soot. The
classpath for soot is appropriately set ,with whole programmode enabled.I
have the latest version of the soot built from checking out from the master
branch .Tried installing the app on android phones with 4.1 and above

This is my folder hierarchy

|- src
     |--java file that has the internal transform function
     |--inputapk
|- folder that contains the external classes

These  .class files are present in an folder as shown above. I could only
add these classes as as application classes  into the scene  by using the
 forceResolve method at a level of signatures since on using tryloadclass
or loadclasssupport or addbasicclass functions, the resolving fails as the
soot would only resolve at a resolving level hierarchy

when i type the

 adb install

the [dexopt_fail] error occurs.I am including the logcat output. I am not
sure where  I am doing this wrong .

D/AndroidRuntime( 5003): >>>>>> AndroidRuntime START
com.android.internal.os.RuntimeInit <<<<<<
D/AndroidRuntime( 5003): CheckJNI is OFF
D/dalvikvm( 5003): Trying to load lib libjavacore.so 0x0
D/dalvikvm( 5003): Added shared lib libjavacore.so 0x0
D/dalvikvm( 5003): Trying to load lib libnativehelper.so 0x0
D/dalvikvm( 5003): Added shared lib libnativehelper.so 0x0
D/AndroidRuntime( 5003): Calling main entry
com.android.commands.pm.Pm<http://com.android.commands.pm.pm/>
W/ActivityManager(  258): *No content provider found for permission
revoke:*file:///data/local/tmp/SootTestAppsAligned.apk
W/ActivityManager(  258): No content provider found for permission revoke:
file:///data/local/tmp/SootTestAppsAligned.apk
I/PackageManager(  258): Running *dexopt* on: com.example.soottestapps
E/dalvikvm( 5014): Out-of-order encoded_annotation name_idx: 0x220e then
0x188e
E/dalvikvm( 5014): Bogus encoded_array value
E/dalvikvm( 5014): Trouble with item 420 @ offset 0x11add9
E/dalvikvm( 5014): Swap of section type 2004 failed
E/dalvikvm( 5014): ERROR: Byte swap + verify failed
E/dalvikvm( 5014): Optimization failed
W/installd(   91): DexInv: --- END
'/data/app/com.example.soottestapps-1.apk' --- status=0xff00, process failed
E/installd(   91): dexopt failed on '/data/dalvik-cache/data at app
@com.example.soottestapps-1.apk at classes.dex' res = 65280
W/PackageManager(  258): Package couldn't be installed in
/data/app/com.example.soottestapps-1.apk

Regards,
adit