[Soot-list] relevance analysis

Mohammad Ghafari ghafari.ir at gmail.com
Sun May 4 17:42:59 EDT 2014

Hi Marc-André,

Yes, the bytecode is available at the end. Given that example, I wanted to
ask whether I should dive into the implementation of an ArrayList to know
if there is a read or write (please note that knowing filed-access is not
enough to me and should know whether it is a read or write)?
For example, if I do a linear pass over jimple representation of Method1
will that show there is a *write* operation to col field?

p.s., Where can I find more info about "domain knowledge" in flowdroid?

On Sun, May 4, 2014 at 10:52 PM, Marc-André Laverdière <
marc-andre.laverdiere-papineau at polymtl.ca> wrote:

> Hi Mohammad,
>
> I am not sure I understand your question.
> We totally have the source code for those methods. Its called OpenJDK.
> But even if we didn't, Soot can read bytecode pretty decently and allow
> you to do whatever you want.
>
> But you may still take a short-cut by using 'domain knowledge', as we
> have been doing in flowdroid. You can have a look a the taint wrappers :)
>
> As a general thing, in order to do what you want, you just need to do a
> linear pass over your program to record field access. Or you can query
> Spark, but you're not necessarily required to get a call graph to do this.
>
> Marc-André Laverdière-Papineau
> Doctorant - PhD Candidate
>
> On 05/04/2014 07:15 AM, Mohammad Ghafari wrote:
> >
> > Hello everybody,
> >
> > I want to find if two methods are related, i.e., they read from/write to
> > the same field. For example:
> >
> >  List<String> col = new ArrayList<String>();
> >
> >  Method1(){
> >   col.put("item");
> >  }
> >
> >  Method2(){
> >   col.get();
> >  }
> >
> > Intuitively, these two methods are related because the first method
> > write to a list from which the second method reads. However, as we don't
> > have the source code of java libraries like List, how can I use Soot to
> > know that col.put() writes to col while col.get() reads from this list?
> >
> > Thnaks

Mohammad Ghafari

DeepSE group @ DEIB - Politecnico di Milano
http://home.deib.polimi.it/ghafari