[Soot-list] Request for beta testers: ToDex ported to DexLib2

Steven Arzt Steven.Arzt at cased.de
Wed May 7 08:55:25 EDT 2014

Hi folks,

Up to now, Soot’s ToDex component (the component responsible for writing out
dex and APK files) has internally used smali 1.3. The 1.x versions of smali
are however no longer supported and also have some known issues with more
recent and more complex APKs. I have thus ported ToDex to dexlib 2.0.3
(dexlib2 is the dex handling library from smali2/baksmali2). This has the
further advantage that Dexpler (the Soot component for reading in APK files)
and ToDex now use the same library again as Dexpler was already ported to
dexlib2 earlier (thank you, Alexandre).

The new version is in the “dexlib2” branch on Github. It would be great if
those of you who work with APK files could test it thoroughly by simply
switching to this branch. If there are any problems, please feel free to
drop me a line at any time. I have already tested the new version with large
real-world apps such as LinkedIn and Facebook, but since the changes are
bigger, I welcome others trying it out as well before I push it to the
develop branch.

Best regards,

  Steven

M.Sc. M.Sc. Steven Arzt

Secure Software Engineering Group (SSE)

European Center for Security and Privacy by Design (EC SPRIDE)

Mornewegstraße 32

D-64293 Darmstadt

Phone: +49 61 51 16-75426

Fax: +49 61 51 16-72118