[Soot-list] Bytecodeoffset Tag probably broken in nightly builds

Steven Arzt Steven.Arzt at cased.de
Fri Nov 21 12:14:29 EST 2014

Hi Manas,

This happens because the new ASM frontend does not yet support BytecodeOffsetTag. If you really need it, you can switch back to coffi using –coffi command-line option. Sadly, it is not trivial to get bytecode offsets from ASM without patching the ASM class loader. The problem is that ASM never really gives access to such low-level information as it operates on a higher level of abstraction.

I have just looked into the problem and was able to extract the bytecode offsets for those locations that are ASM labels. The location of a label is not exactly the location of the next instruction, though. I have not yet fully understood why there is a tiny offset, but it exists. Furthermore, if there is no ASM label (i.e., we are in the middle of a basic block and there are no line number annotations), we are out of luck anyway. I’m not happy with that, but I don’t see a quick way to fix that at the moment.

@All: Some ideas?

Best regards,

  Steven