[Soot-list] Analyzing Android

Steven Arzt Steven.Arzt at cased.de
Tue Nov 25 16:17:24 EST 2014

Hi Bernhard,

The DexClassProvider works for dex files and not for JAR files. What one would need to also analyze dex files contained in jar files is to extend the SourceLocator class so that when it scans through a JAR file, it detects dex files inside there as well, extracts them, and passes them to the Dexpler component. That should not be too hard to accomplish in principle, but there are several details to take into account in case you also want to write the loaded classes back out after some transformation.

Soot needs the android.jar file whenever it reads dex files. This JAR file contains the Android system classes. You might be able to patch Soot so that it does not directly fail if no android JAR is specified and work with phantom classes for everything that is missing, but I won't give any guarantees on the outcome.

Best regards,
  Steven