[Soot-list] Instrumenting Android library classes

Gianluca Mezzetti mezzetti at cs.au.dk
Mon Sep 15 19:04:42 EDT 2014

Peter,
i'm on that too, and it seems not very easy.
I suggest you to look at my config https://github.com/algobardo/sootReproduce to start making some experiments.

So far i'm able to run an instrumented framework, but only instrumenting android.os, android.app, excluding annotation classes (https://github.com/Sable/soot/issues/264) and the package andoid.util (that makes soot crash) https://github.com/Sable/soot/issues/262, and circumventing some bad behavior https://github.com/Sable/soot/issues/263.

To do that I needed to work on class files because i can instrument class files individually, keeping untouched the others.

If you want to experiment with dex to dex  instrumentation instead (i was unable to do that)...take a look at this little modification to the SourceLocator
https://github.com/algobardo/soot/commit/afcf833efa424218a84bd6a48cfed845968d934c

even though Steven suggests

"I'm not really sure why you don't want to specify an android.jar file. This has nothing to do with whether you instrument apk files or single dex files. Unless the same issue also occurs when using a proper android. jar file, I would not call it a bug."

Best regards,
Gianluca