[Soot-list] Strange exception while running soot

Mihir Mehta mihir at cs.utexas.edu
Tue Apr 28 12:24:48 EDT 2015

On 04/28/15 10:18, Steven Arzt wrote:
> was the class you are trying to analyze compiled for Java 8? If so, does the
> problem still occur if you recompile this class for Java 7?

In the minimal example I provided, as well as the files I am trying to
analyse, I did not compile the source files at all. I am not working
with bytecode, rather, I am working with source. Of course, my analysis
is implemented in the JTP pack.

However, the version of rt.jar that I am using might be pertinent - it's
from jdk1.8.0_25

I tried switching to a previous version of JDK that corresponds to Java
7. soot was now able to analyse the class, like this:

mihir at mihir-550P5C:/tmp$ export JAVA_HOME=/usr/lib/jvm/jdk1.7.0_79
mihir at mihir-550P5C:/tmp$ $JAVA_HOME/bin/java -cp
/home/mihir/git/overload_checker/ex01/lib/soot.jar soot.Main -pp -cp .
test01 -f J
Soot started on Tue Apr 28 11:21:25 CDT 2015
Transforming test01...
Writing to sootOutput/test01.jimple
Soot finished on Tue Apr 28 11:21:25 CDT 2015
Soot has run for 0 min. 0 sec.

It seems that this might solve the issue. Thanks, Steven.

I'm puzzled about how this made it work, though.