[Soot-list] Instrument for intercepting all network I/Os

Haipeng Cai hcai at nd.edu
Tue Feb 10 16:20:30 EST 2015

Hi all,

To help identify* inter-process* dependencies in distributed programs, I am
attempting a Jimple-level instrumentation that inserts probes after all
function calls related to all network I/Os. In the simplest case, I could
just identify all calls of socket.getInput/OutputStream as such
instrumentation points, yet that would not give me a complete set of such
points.

Is there a better approach to *completely (for a 100% recall) *instrumenting
such interceptions through static analysis?  Or, as a compromise, is there
some alternative (even dynamic-analysis) approaches to capture all network
I/O related function calls?

I am also wondering if there exists any relevant utilities in the latest
version of Soot or its derivatives (FlowDroid, heros, etc.) that could help
with this task.

Any thoughts and clues are appreciated.

Thanks.
Haipeng Cai