[Soot-list] Intercepting all network I/Os

Haipeng Cai chapering at gmail.com
Sat Feb 7 15:57:08 EST 2015

Hi all,

To help identify inter-process dependencies in distributed programs, I am
attempting a Jimple-level instrumentation that inserts probes at all
function calls for network data reads and writes. In the simplest case, I
could just find all calls of Socket.getInput/OutputStream for such
instrumentation points, yet that would not be complete.

Is there any better approach to *completely (for a 100% recall) *instrumenting
such interceptions though static analysis?  Or, as a compromise, is there
some alternative dynamic-analysis approaches to capture all network I/O
related function calls just for specific executions?

I am also wondering if there exists any relevant facilities in the latest
version of Soot or its derivatives (FlowDroid, for instance) that could
help with this interception task. Any thoughts and clues are really
appreciated.

Thanks,
Haipeng Cai