[Soot-list] Call graphs and excluding libraries

Steven Arzt Steven.Arzt at cased.de
Fri Jun 12 05:34:07 EDT 2015

Hi John,

If the package names are freemarker.*, it’s important to put the asterisk into the exclusion option on the Soot command line as well. Otherwise, Soot will assume that there is a single class called “freemarker” which you would like to exclude.

If your code under analysis references a class which is not on the Soot classpath and –allow-phantom-refs is used, this class will automatically be considered as a phantom. Nothing will be loaded, because Soot cannot know where to load it from. If you exclude a class, its structure (method signatures, etc.) will be loaded, but it will be marked as a library class. If you specify –no-bodies-for-excluded, Soot will not load any bodies for those classes, even if some code tries to access the body. Therefore, not putting the class on the classpath is the most rigorous option for guaranteeing that it will not be loaded.

Your analysis then needs to deal with such cases. If you have a call to a.foo() and the type of the variable “a” refers to a phantom class, there will not be a callgraph edge from the call site to anywhere and thus there will not be an IFDS call edge. There will, however, still be an IFDS call-to-return edge in which you can detect that you are dealing with such an exclusion case and apply e.g., an external library model to make up for the information loss. Depending on your analysis, you might also be able to simply ignore the effects of the method call on your data flow abstraction, that’s something you as the analysis designer need to decide.

Best regards,

  Steven