[Soot-list] Android instrumentation: No main class given. Inferred [..] as main class.

José Leal Domingues Neto dominguesn at gmail.com
Mon May 11 11:43:01 EDT 2015

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to modify an android apk and everything was working fine until
now. I suppose that the apk has grown too big (actually is not that much),
and now I'm receive a Java Heap space error or a GC error even after giving
more memory to soot:
- Caused by: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: GC overhead limit exceeded

I suppose that Soot is trying to analyse *everything* inside the app, which
uses a lot of Libs. How can I avoid this? I've tried setting the entry
point (http://www.bodden.de/2012/07/26/soot-custom-entry-points/) of the
jtp transformation, but it still gives me the same error.

Furthermore, I now noticed that its inferring a main-class from a lib I'm
using: "No main class given. Inferred
org.apache.commons.math3.util.FastMath' as main class.", how can I set this
correctly? Is the error related?

This is my command-line: java -Xmx1024M -Xms1024M -XX:PermSize=2048m
-XX:MaxPermSize=2048m -cp "~/TestingSoot/lib/*:../../*:."
 AndroidInstrument -pp -android-jars
/home/neto/adt-bundle-linux-x86_64-20140702/sdk/platforms/android-20
-process-dir ~/ClientSide/bin/ClientMain-debug.apk -allow-phantom-refs -w

Thank you for your help,
José