[Soot-list] whole program order of phases question

Charles Hines hines at cert.org
Mon Jul 31 18:05:24 EDT 2017

Hi,

So, I'm working with code (mostly written by someone else) that adds an analysis pass to Soot in the wjtp Pack, and looking at the diagram of how whole program analysis packs are arranged it looks like all of the jb phases should be run on everything before cg and wjtp fire, but in turning up verbosity it looks to me like some of the jb phases are being run both before and after the code in wjtp runs (I see messages like "Applying phase jb.ls" both before and after seeing  "Applying phase wjtp.customcode" and the wjtp code only fires once).  Oh, and the cg.spark phase seems to run before any of the jb phases as well, which I also found confusing given the diagram of the Soot phases.

This is problematic because the code I'm working with in wjtp assumes that all of the application classes & methods have been processed before running (the flags -w -app are used).

Could this observation actually be true?  And if so, is there any way around that (maybe a later phase to tap into)?

I'm using the nightly soot trunk jar from like the 21st.

Thanks,
Chuck