[Soot-list] Issues with latest Soot & FlowDroid builds

Arzt, Steven steven.arzt at sit.fraunhofer.de
Mon Nov 6 11:47:44 EST 2017

Hi Pascal,

FlowDroid should not get broken by changes to Soot. If you use the latest versions of all repositories you mention, that should work all fine. We run a continuous integration system that checks out the newest code each night, builds everything, and runs the about 400 unit tests that we have for FlowDroid. If something breaks, we should be able to catch that fairly quickly. Just be sure to use the "develop" branches. Do you have any concrete issue or compilation error? That might give a clue as to what is incompatible in your installation.

Concerning proper versioning: There are release versions of FlowDroid, the newest of which is 2.0. You can download these release versions from the "Releases" page of the respective Github project. These versions should be stable. For Soot, creating a proper release is on the TODO list. Coordinating this effort is non-trivial, because we still have many dependencies that do not have a proper release management on their own. We're working on it, but that may take some time. In general, the Soot interfaces should not change that much anyway, so you should be fairly safe with the Soot nightly builds.

As a runtime environment, I use Oracle's JDK 8 for Windows x64. Other colleagues run the Oracle JDK 8 x64 on Linux or Mac OS X without any issues. Applying security patches has never broken Soot or FlowDroid for me.

As I said, if you have a more precise description of the problem, it's easier to see what's happening there.

Best regards,
  Steven