[Soot-list] Doubt in flowdroid alias analysis

Arzt, Steven steven.arzt at sit.fraunhofer.de
Thu Jan 18 06:13:35 EST 2018

Hi,

FlowDroid uses its own alias analysis, because the one integrated in Soot has limitations. First and foremost, Soot’s PtS-based analysis only handles base objects and single field dereferences. FlowDroid, on the other hand, uses access paths, which model sequences of field dereferences with an arbitrary length. Secondly, we need a context-sensitive alias analysis, which Soot does not provide. You can read up on the details in my PhD thesis [1], which contains a complete section on aliasing.

The backwards analysis stops when it reaches an allocation site for the base value for the access path which it is currently propagating. In other words, when going back, we check whether the current variable (base of the access path) is overwritten. If so, no aliases can be created before.

Best regards,
  Steven

[1] http://tuprints.ulb.tu-darmstadt.de/5937/