[Soot-list] Exception management with Soot

Jan Peter Stotz jan-peter.stotz at sit.fraunhofer.de
Sun Mar 25 06:51:26 EDT 2018

Hi Paolo,

now I understand. There is an Exception caught by Soot and you only see
it in the logs/console output. From my perspective there is only one way
to deal with this problem:

Modify the source code of Soot so that the Exception is correctly
handled. You can modify it and create a Github pull request.

 From my perspective the problem is located in soot.PackManager [1].
It uses multiple times ThreadPoolExecutor and executes Runnable within
those Executors. The disadvantage of Runnables is that the Exceptions
are lost if not handled separately.
Instead Callable<Void> implementations should be used. When submitting a
Callable you get a Future. When checking the future for the result (via
get()) a potential Exception thrown inside of the Callable is propagated
to the outside.

This is what you need.

Jan

[1]