[Soot-list] Soot Questions

Andreas Peter Dann adann at mail.uni-paderborn.de
Wed Apr 10 02:29:58 EDT 2019

Hi,

Am Dienstag, den 09.04.2019, 20:58 -0400 schrieb Myles Frantz:
> To whomever it concerns,
>
> I would like to thank you for all of your work on Soot, as it is a
> mature and very useful library to use.
>
> I would however like to confirm several items however, as I haven't
> been able to find a definitive answer to them.
> Java Source Code (*.java) analysis is not supported? (Issue 1140)
I suggest you to use Soot's ASM bytecode frontend. It supports more
language features and is more powerful.

> Current work on Java9 branch is paused?
No, we are working on the Java 9 and develop branch in parallel.
The Java 9 branch can be successfully build and executed on JDK 8,9,11
and supports Java modules.

> The possible run-time dependency on the rt.jar library will stay in
> the Java9 branch?
Sry, I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "possible" run-time
dependency.
If you execute soot-j9 as described in the README.md (https://github.co
m/Sable/soot/tree/java9) "rt.jar" is not added to the classpath.
The  "rt.jar" is only automatically added if you use the option "-pp"
(prepend-classpath) or specify an empty soot-classpath.

Hope that helps!

Cheers,

Andreas