[Soot-list] Soot-Java9 Branch

Andreas Peter Dann adann at mail.uni-paderborn.de
Fri Mar 29 10:48:08 EDT 2019

Hi,

Friday,  29.03.2019, 10:25 -0400 Myles Frantz:
> To whomever it concerns,
>
> I would like to thank you for your active support on the Soot
> project.
> It is being used for several of our active research projects and we
> have found it very useful.
>
> I am re-sending this question since I believe the email may have been
> missed from the list-serv status.
>
> I have recently read through the activity on Github, and I am happy
> to hear about the recent upgrades of ASM and the ability to compile
> the project with Java 11.
> I would however like to ask if there are any plans to remove the
> runtime ("hard coded") dependency upon the rt.jar and the jce.jar
> files?

I'm not sure what dependencies you actually mean?
I assume you mean "hard-coded" classpath entries in the class
"Scene.java" in the method "defaultJavaClassPath()".
The "rt.jar" and "jce.jar" are only added to the classpath if you
activate option "-pp" (Prepend the given soot classpath to the default
classpath).

If you execute soot-j9 as described in the README.md (https://github.co
m/Sable/soot/tree/java9)
"rt.jar" is never added to the classpath.
In fact "rt.jar" and "jce.jar" should never be added to the classpath
automatically if you specify an own classpath with the option "-cp" and
do not activate the option "-pp".

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Andreas