[Soot-list] Using ThreadLocalObjectAnalysis

Eric Bodden eric.bodden at uni-paderborn.de
Tue Apr 14 07:23:50 EDT 2020

Hi Rajendra.

> On 13. Apr 2020, at 12:18, Rajendra Kumar Dangwal <dangwalrajendra888 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I tried running the analysis with Soot-2.5.0 and it ran without any exception.
> The later versions of Soot are not supporting the ThreadLocalObjectsAnalysis and throwing an exception. Reason is, the DataFlowSummary object is null and being dereferenced at soot.jimple.toolkits.infoflow.SmartMethodInfoFlowAnalysis.handleInvokeExpr(SmartMethodInfoFlowAnalysis.java:408).
> Can someone fix this?

Thanks for tracking this down! Would you be so kind to open an appropriate issue on Github?

> Also, ThreadLocalObjectsAnalysis can only be used with Jimple.
> I want to find the thread local objects in Shimple. Is there any other analysis? If not, where should I make the changes in Soot to support Shimple?

I am pretty sure we currently have no Shimple support. I see two options:

a) Go without Shimple. Are you sure you cannot implement your analysis just with Jimple?
b) Implement Shimple support on your own. This would entail two things: (1) you need to instruct Soot to produce Shimple bodies, (2) you need to extend the TLO analysis such that it can handle correctly all Shimple-specific statements (Phi nodes, etc.).

Best wishes