[Soot-list] Beginner Soot CLI Usage / Setup

Gokce Dilek gokcedilek99 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 22 00:59:51 EST 2020

Hello,

I am an undergraduate student at UBC, Vancouver. I have recently started
looking into Soot for a research project, but I have been having some
difficulties in running it from the command line. I followed various guides
from here <https://www.brics.dk/SootGuide/sootsurvivorsguide.pdf>, here
<https://github.com/soot-oss/soot/wiki/Introduction:-Soot-as-a-command-line-tool#soots-command-line>,
and here <http://www.bodden.de/2008/08/21/soot-command-line/>, but kept on
getting similar error messages, thus, I wanted to ask about the
configuration details to the group. I am describing the steps I followed
below:

I installed Soot from here
<https://soot-build.cs.uni-paderborn.de/public/origin/master/soot/soot-master/3.0.1/build/sootclasses-trunk-jar-with-dependencies.jar>.
The jar file is located at /Users/gokcedilek/Downloads. I created a sample
Java app called A.java in the same directory, which should just print
"hello world". My rt.jar file is located at
/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_131.jdk/Contents/Home/jre/lib/rt.jar.
And, I am using macOS Catalina 10.15.5. Based on these, I tried various
commands to run Soot, I am summarizing my main steps below:

1) java -cp sootclasses-trunk-jar-with-dependencies.jar soot.Main -f J A
--- resulted in java.lang.RuntimeException: Error: cannot find rt.jar.

2) To specify rt.jar: java -cp sootclasses-trunk-jar-with-dependencies.jar
soot.Main -cp
/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_131.jdk/Contents/Home/jre/lib/rt.jar
-f J A --- resulted in soot.SootResolver$SootClassNotFoundException:
couldn't find class: A (is your soot-class-path set properly?)

3) To specify classpath: java -cp
sootclasses-trunk-jar-with-dependencies.jar soot.Main -cp .:
/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_131.jdk/Contents/Home/jre/lib/rt.jar
-f J A and java -cp sootclasses-trunk-jar-with-dependencies.jar soot.Main
-cp
/Users/gokcedilek/Downloads:/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_131.jdk/Contents/Home/jre/lib/rt.jar
-f J A --- both resulted in java.lang.NullPointerException, and I could not
solve this error further by googling and trying.

I would appreciate if you could point me to what I might be missing, or
other guides that could be helpful. Thank you very much in advance.

Regards,

Gokce Dilek