Re: A lot of prduction classes

Hi Mattias,

Sorry for the delay, I was under a ton of things to do.  See below.

"Mattias Grönlund" wrote:
> Thanks for the quick answer, but I?m not sure if I explained my question
> clear enough.

Your're right!  I didn't understand clearly your initial question; maybe
I read it too quickly...

> But, the duplication that I was referring was the duplication of
> Axxx-classes for an alternative. Lets take an example to illustrate this:
>
> goal = {a} a;
> a = import identifier semicolon;

My question is this:

why don't you rewrite this grammar as:

goal = {a} import identifier semicolon;

> And when we add a secondary alternative to goal:
> goal = {a} a |
>            {b} b;
> a = import identifier semicolon;
> b = import identifier dot star semicolon;

and, of course:

goal = {a} import identifier semicolon |
       {b} import identifier dot star semicolon;

> What I think is that it should be enough if the first grammar created one
> Axxx class:
> AA :: PGoal
>
> And that the extended grammar should add one extra class:
> AB :: PGoal

Having AA extend PGoal would be counter-intuitive (for novice users, at
least).  Specially that you can get a similar AST if you write your
grammar as shown above.

Maybe there's a reason why you need a separate rule for "a"?

Etienne
Etienne M. Gagnon, M.Sc.                     e-mail: egagnon@j-meg.com
Author of SableCC:                             http://www.sablecc.org/
and SableVM:                                   http://www.sablevm.org/