Re: SableCC subversion repository

On Sat, 2003-06-28 at 11:53, Jon Shapcott wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 21, 2003 at 03:28:33PM -0400, Etienne Gagnon wrote:
> > I have completed the migration of the historical SableCC development
> > repository to a new Subversion server.  Subversion is a follow-up
> > to CVS that is much better. (http://subversion.tigris.org/)
>
> By "historical" do you mean all all the old versions of SableCC? By "old" I
> mean versions upto and including 2.17.3, but neither 2.17.4 nor 2.18.1. If
> so, is ordinary CVS read and write access via sourceforge still available
> for versions 2.17.4 and 2.18.1?
>
> I (and many others) run stable Debian GNU/Linux (Woody), which has no
> subversion client. Subversion for Linux also requires kernel versions 2.4
> and above, and the standard kernel for Woody is still version 2.2.

Hello Jon,
I'm a Debian user too.
In Debian you can mix repositories, and you can have all the stable
system, plus some packages from the testing and unstable distribution.

I suggest you to install the kernel 2.4 (latest is 2.4.21, and it's
soooo much better than any 2.2.x version, you should not think on it any
more.
It is also possible to install Woody directly with kernel 2.4, just type
"bf24" at the boot prompt of Woody CD.

So you can install subversion directly from unstable repository, or you
can try to recompile it (with all associate dependencies) for stable.

Subversion is _so_ much better than cvs that when you try it you don't
want to use CVS any more.

> If the new versions are not available using ordinary CVS read acces via
> sourceforge, this stymies any efforts to keep track of SableCC development
> using the most stable Linux platform available.

> This stymies any efforts to contribute to SableCC development using the most
> stable Linux platform available. I'm not at all sure that this is a good
> policy. Has any thought been put into workarounds for this problem?

I use Debian testing on many production servers, and I find it damn
stable.

I think you should try to upgrade your system and feel the joy of using
latest (and better) software :)

Alex

--
Etienne M. Gagnon, Ph.D.                             egagnon@j-meg.com