Re: [abc-users] Problem compiling code to generate new extension

From: Pavel Avgustinov <pavel.avgustinov@magdalen.oxford.ac.uk>
Date: Mon Nov 20 2006 - 10:28:48 GMT

Hi,

Good to know you're going to work with abc! Hope it proves useful.

>I am looking at the abc compiler for an msc project I am undertaking. I
>am currently looking at the steps needed to extend the aspectj language
>using abc by taking loopsaj as an example. As another learning
>exercise, I have taken the code for the global pointcut from eaj and am
>trying to use this as a single extension. In both cases, I am getting
>as far as generating the parse files but am running into a small issue
>when compiling the final code:
>
>Exception in thread "main" polyglot.util.InternalCompilerError:
>unhandled except
>ion during compilation
> at abc.main.Main.run(Main.java:568)
> at abc.main.Main.main(Main.java:196)
>Caused by: java.lang.StackOverflowError
>
>Is this a common issue? I am very new to abc so it it not of the
>question that the issue lies with me. I would be grateful for any he

Hm, a StackOverflowError should never be a common issue. We certainly
would immediately fix any such errors we are aware of.

It is, however, somewhat hard to diagnose the problem without any
additional information. Based on the two line numbers above, I believe
you are using abc version 1.0.2 -- is this correct? Is there any
particular reason for this? If it wouldn't be too much trouble, might I
suggest upgrading to 1.2.1, which contains a wide variety of bugfixes?
It is quite possible that this alone will take care of your problem.

If not, then we really need to know where the StackOverflowError occurs.
Is there something you can do to find out? Maybe edit the
'catch(Throwable e)' clause in abc.main.Main.run to print out the origin
of the error more clearly, or even comment out the 'catch(Throwable e)'
part for the moment, in order to allow the StackOverflow to become
visible on stdout?

In Java, a SOE generally means an infinite recursive loop somewhere, so
this is what you should check any changes you have introduced for.

I'd be happy to help out more once you provide more details.

Cheers,
- Pavel