Testing a Code Generator!!!!

Hi guys!
I don't know if you've asked yourself this question,
but how do you test a code generator?
I usually test it by checking if it generates the
correct code. I can't see any other logical way to do
this. Its funny that I had never asked myself about
it, but isn't there a rule for such test?
Books don't describe it to deep as they describe how
to test a parser or a semantic analyzer.
I test it by going through the grammar from the top,
and checking if it is generating the correct code.
Is this the way you guys do it?
If you're interested send your comments to the list.
Regards,
Fidel Viegas.