RE: Whishlist: Passive parsing

Xuân wrote,
> When creating a parser for network protocols, it is strongly
> desireable that lexers and parsers are passive for the time active
> parsers would block, in order to minimize the amount of needed
> threads.
<snip/>
> This feature, I think, is especially desireably due to non-blocking
> IO in JDK1.4. It will make possible to have one thread per service,
> and not one thread per client (where 99% of those threads are just
> blocking and consuming OS resources).

Speaking both as a member of the group that designed the new I/O
facilties for JDK 1.4, and as a potential user of an NIO-friendly
lexer/parser generator, I'd like to emphatically support Xuâns
proposal.

If it does get taken up, please feel free to pester me for advice on
how best to exploit the new APIs.

Cheers,

Miles

--
Miles Sabin                                     InterX
Internet Systems Architect                      27 Great West Road