RE: Output text from AST

Hi,

I had a very similar problem.  The easiest way I found to do it is to
write a custom lexer that builds up a linked list of whitespace
characters before each token.  It then makes an entry into the hashtable
(using setIn I seem to remember), associating the list with the Token
that follows it.  Then you can simply make the deafaultCase in your
Walker class look up the list for each token passed to it and print that
to the output stream before outputting the token's string value.  This
does not pretty print, but does preserve the original comments and
indentation structure.

I then rigged a framework over the top of this to appropriately indent
extra code I was emitting from my pre-processor.  Take care if you go
down this route because I've got myself seriously tied up in knots with
this approach!

Hope that's of some help,

Jim Moores

PS.  No disrespect to SableCC (it's the first Compiler-Compiler I've
ever been able to get my head around!), but if you are implementing a
Java pre-processor, you might want to look at EPP which has access to
type information and might be easier (although the documentation is
awful and the learning curve quite steep).

Also, check out the package that it uses to read class files - the BCEL
(the byte-code engineering library), which you should be able to
integrate with SableCC to build symbol tables etc.   Of course this
might not be relevant to you...
--
Dr James Moores, Director, Quickstone Technologies Limited, UK.