Re: SableCC subversion repository

On Sat, 28 Jun 2003, Jon Shapcott wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 21, 2003 at 03:28:33PM -0400, Etienne Gagnon wrote:
> > I have completed the migration of the historical SableCC development
> > repository to a new Subversion server.  Subversion is a follow-up
> > to CVS that is much better. (http://subversion.tigris.org/)
>
> I (and many others) run stable Debian GNU/Linux (Woody), which has no
> subversion client. Subversion for Linux also requires kernel versions 2.4
> and above, and the standard kernel for Woody is still version 2.2.

The static build of subversion provided on their webpage requires glibc
2.3 and above.  Subversion should be insensitive to the kernel version.
You should be able to download the subversion source and compile your own
client.

> If the new versions are not available using ordinary CVS read acces via
> sourceforge, this stymies any efforts to keep track of SableCC development
> using the most stable Linux platform available.

It is also possible to set up subversion so that it can make tarballs of
the current development snapshot upon demand.  I don't know if the SableCC
repository has this feature enabled.

Finally, as Alessandro pointed out, SVN is much, much better than CVS.

pat