[Soot-list] global side-effect analysis with soot?

Christian Lindig lindig at cs.uni-sb.de
Tue Aug 9 03:49:16 EDT 2005

I am new to Soot and would be grateful for advice whether the following
could be implemented with Soot: we like to identify all observer
methods for a number of classes. Such a method returns an object but
otherwise does not create objects that outlive its invocation or
mutates any existing object.

For this we need a global data flow analysis that marks methods as
observer or mutator. Because of dynamic binding we have to be
conservative and have to analyze all methods that could potentially be
invoked; a similar problem pose calls against an interface where we
have to know all implementations of that interface. Because of cyclic
dependencies such an analysis must reach a fix point.

In any case, I suspect that the Soot framework will be helpful but
would be grateful for your opinion and what part of Soot would be most
useful.

-- Christian

--
http://www.st.cs.uni-sb.de/~lindig/