[Soot-list] identify calls on local objects with Jimple?

Venkatesh Prasad Ranganath vranganath at sbcglobal.net
Fri Aug 12 11:22:03 EDT 2005

On Fri, 2005-08-12 at 16:14 +0200, Christian Lindig wrote:
> We like to classify method calls into calls on local objects versus
> calls on non-local objects. A local object is created inside a method
> and is not a parameter or held in a static variable. Is there a good
> way to do this in Jimple, at least approximately?

A simple approach would be to use SSA or simulate SSA via local
splitting and check if any of the locals referring to the abstract local
object are used as arguments to methods or assigned to static variables
or fields of static variables.  However, this may be imprecise in
certain cases.

The inter-procedural object read/write analysis in Indus
(http://indus.projects.cis.ksu.edu) can answer questions such as "is the
given parameter to a method read/written at a given call site?".  You
may be able to leverage this information along with info from a
points-to analysis to detect method-local objects.

Hope that helps,

Venkatesh Prasad Ranganath,
Kansas State University.
web: http://www.cis.ksu.edu/~rvprasad