[Soot-list] Identification of locally created objects

Valentin Dallmeier dallmeier at st.cs.uni-sb.de
Thu Aug 18 03:40:24 EDT 2005

Hello!

I'm new to soot. Currently I'm trying to use the jimple
representation of a method body to identify locally created objects.
This is based on the assumption that in jimple locals are assigned to
only once. Unfortunately, there seems to be another assignment to a
local variable after the object was created. My question is: Is it
true that every call

"Object myObject = new Object();"

translates into something like

$r1 = new Object
specialinvoke $r1.<Object: void <init>()>()
r2 = $r1

Does this allow to state that later every call that occurs on r2
occurs on the object created in this statement. Another question that
comes to mind is what's the difference between a variable whose name
starts with $ and one whose name does not?

Thank  you for your help!

Valentin