[Soot-list] type qualifiers?

Will Benton willb at cs.wisc.edu
Thu Feb 9 15:46:47 EST 2006

I'm interested in using Soot to analyze and generate extension to
Java that uses type qualifiers.  Therefore, I'd like a way for my
analyses to be able to see, for example, that the type of a variable
is "String {s,t}" (where {s,t} is a set of qualifiers).  For the
particular problem I'm working on, a variable of type T can receive a
value of type T' iff the qualifier set for T' is a subset of the
qualifier set for T.

I'm not currently concerned with preserving qualifier annotations in
the class file, but that seems like an orthogonal problem.

What would be the least painful way to do this?  Should I extend
RefType to include information about qualifier sets, override the
equals() method, etc., or is there some kind of "hook" into Soot's
typechecker that I could exploit?

Thanks for your time.

best,
wb