[Soot-list] Points-to options

Ondrej Lhotak olhotak at uwaterloo.ca
Fri Jul 21 11:40:46 EDT 2006

On Tue, Jul 18, 2006 at 03:24:20PM -0400, Eric Bodden wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I have the following problems with the built-in points-to analyses:
>
> When I do not enable any command-line options regarding PTA, I get the
> FullObjectSet for any possible variable, which is presumably the dumm
> but correct default answer.
>
> When I set "cg.spark:enabled" only, I get an empty points-to set where
> paddle used to give me some decent result. That sounds unsound, doesn't
> it? The problem seems that in the PAG, there seems to be no mapping for
> the local I pass in. When can that be the case?

This can happen if:
- the method containing the local is unreachable in the call graph
  starting from your entry points
or
- the local has a non-reference type

> Apart from that, when I set SPARK to use RTA, my flow analysis seems to
> behave very random: I get fewer iterations (too few apparently) that
> usual and have not yet found any explanation, why.

RTA in Spark only works correctly when on-fly-cg is false (and it's true
by default). This is a design limitation of Spark, and "fixing" it
would essentially be turning Spark into Paddle (and this is how Paddle
actually started out...) I suppose Soot should give you an error if you
try to do rta and on-fly-cg in Spark. Do you have any suggestions on how
best to do that?