Indus (was Re: [Soot-list] my question about Soot)

Chris Pickett chris.pickett at mail.mcgill.ca
Fri Nov 17 14:14:33 EST 2006

Hey Venkatesh,

Venkatesh Prasad Ranganath wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-11-17 at 02:57 -0500, Chris Pickett wrote:
>> I guess I'm just gonna keep replying-to-self ad infinitum.
>>
>> Of course I forgot, the GPL is LGPL copy-and-paste compatible, since you
>> can convert LGPL to GPL, but you can't go the other direction.  So if
>> you wanted to cannibalize the Soot code base you could go that route,
>> but hmmm, that doesn't seem to help us out over here at all.
>>
>> Licensing gives me a headache.  OK, maybe I already had the headache.
>> Maybe I should go to bed.
>
> Hi Chris,
>
> Currently, the source of Kaveri (eclipse plugin) has been released under
> academic source licensing as we had done Bogor in the past.  Also, the
> stock groovy scripts available with Kaveri have been released under
> MPL.  So far, there have been no issues.
>
> As for open sourcing Indus, I am evaluating various open source licenses
> that would allow contributors to modify Indus and, at the same time,
> "release" such contributions to be integrated into Indus.  May be, I
> might eventually choose a more liberal license such as BSD or MIT or
> even LGPL.

My reason for suggesting the LGPL in particular is that it will let
Indus copy Soot source code and release it as part of Indus, and it will
let Soot copy Indus source code and release it as part of Soot.

If you choose BSD or MIT, you cannot incorporate the Soot source code
into Indus.  If you choose GPL, we cannot incorporate the Indus source
code into Soot.

The reason I think sharing source code between the two projects might be
useful is that they both operate on Jimple.  This is speculation, since
I haven't seen the Indus source code, but based on the analyses
described on your web page it seems like the feature sets of the two
frameworks are somewhat orthogonal, which makes a better case for
sharing than if they were completely overlapping.

Anyway, your forum post asked for input, so there you go.

Cheers,
Chris