Indus (was Re: [Soot-list] my question about Soot)

Venkatesh Prasad Ranganath vranganath at sbcglobal.net
Fri Nov 17 03:41:42 EST 2006

On Fri, 2006-11-17 at 02:57 -0500, Chris Pickett wrote:

> I guess I'm just gonna keep replying-to-self ad infinitum.
>
> Of course I forgot, the GPL is LGPL copy-and-paste compatible, since you
> can convert LGPL to GPL, but you can't go the other direction.  So if
> you wanted to cannibalize the Soot code base you could go that route,
> but hmmm, that doesn't seem to help us out over here at all.
>
> Licensing gives me a headache.  OK, maybe I already had the headache.
> Maybe I should go to bed.

Hi Chris,

Currently, the source of Kaveri (eclipse plugin) has been released under
academic source licensing as we had done Bogor in the past.  Also, the
stock groovy scripts available with Kaveri have been released under MPL.
So far, there have been no issues.

As for open sourcing Indus, I am evaluating various open source licenses
that would allow contributors to modify Indus and, at the same time,
"release" such contributions to be integrated into Indus.  May be, I
might eventually choose a more liberal license such as BSD or MIT or
even LGPL.

--

Venkatesh Prasad Ranganath
e-id: venkateshprasad.ranganath [at] gmail.com