[Soot-list] Re: Question about Soot Eclipse plugin

Ondrej Lhotak olhotak at uwaterloo.ca
Mon Jun 4 10:43:49 EDT 2007

Hello Yonghee...

I haven't encountered a similar problem. Some more details would make it
easier for me to help you diagnose the problem.

On Fri, Jun 01, 2007 at 11:49:23PM -0400, Yonghee Shin wrote:
> I'm trying to use Soot eclipse plugin and encountered a problem in using
> ColorTag. Could you help me with this problem?
>
> Soot works differently when I use the soot configuration dialog box in
> Eclipse and when I use my own Main class which adds a new transformer to
> the jap pack.

I don't fully understand. Are you using the Soot configuration dialog
box in both cases, but specifying your own Main class within the dialog?
Or how are you invoking Soot with your own Main class?

> For example, I used the NullPointerColorer class which is included in Soot
> package. When I used jap:npcolorer transformer by choosing the options
> provided by soot eclipse plugin (soot->process source file -> run soot ->
> phase options -> jimple annotation pack -> null pointer colorer), the java
> source file was colored.
>
> However, when I called NullPointerColorer in my own Main class, only
> jimple file was colored. Could you let me know what I'm doing wrong?

A good way to begin narrowing this down would be to determine whether
the problem is that Soot is not generating the colour tags, or whether
Eclipse is not displaying them. Soot outputs the tag information in an
XML file in the sootOutput directory. Look there and compare the XML
files created in both cases. If they're the same, then the problem is
in the Eclipse code that displays the tags; if they're different, then
the problem is that Soot is not generating the tag information.

Can you also provide the Soot command line being used to invoke Soot,
and the options being passed to Soot? What does your custom Main class
look like? Does it pass command line options to Soot?

I'm copying this to the soot-list mailing list, in case someone there
has encountered similar problems and can help.

Ondrej