[Soot-list] instrumenting with soot class by class

Eric Bodden eric.bodden at mail.mcgill.ca
Wed Apr 16 22:17:50 EDT 2008

Hi, David.

I have not heard of anybody ever trying this. My guess would be that
this is hard to do. Soot attempts to resolve types as it converts a
given class file into Jimple. This implies other, referenced, classes
to be loaded, which in turn might give you some trouble.

Probably the easiest tool for this kind of stuff would be AspectJ with
its built-in load time weaver. Did you consider using that? Or is it
too limited for you?

Eric

On 16/04/2008, David Vollmar <kavika at the-dave.com> wrote:
> All,
>  I would like to instrument classes one at a time with soot by writing a
> custom classloader that will decide which classes to instrument and then
> load that instrumented class during the class loading process. This would
> allow me to run code and only instrument the classes I care about and at the
> same time not having to
>  re-instrument classes that have not changed.
>
>  Unfortunately I can't seem to figure out how to call into soot so that I
> can instrument a single class.
>
>  Has anyone done anything like this? Any ideas? I would be very grateful for
> any suggestions.
>
>  Regards
>
>  David
>
>  David Vollmar