[Soot-list] Eclipse ColorTags Disappearing

Eric Bodden eric.bodden at mail.mcgill.ca
Wed Dec 17 07:34:03 EST 2008

Jack, I had another look at this yesterday.

It seems like the culprit is the AnnotationPainter in Eclipse. Here's
what's happening:

You analyze your code with the Soot plugin. The plugin then adds its
color annotations to the text widget that holds the analyzed program
text. This process notifies the eclipse JDT framework that the content
of that widget was changed. This in turn then causes the widget to get
"reconciled", which triggers the AnnotationPainter to (re)paint its
warning annotations for the code in that widget. (This basically
generates the yellow squiggles for warnings.) When this happens, the
AnnotationPainter replaces any formatting that the Soot plugin may
have introduced, basically trampling over everything that the Soot
plugin may have done, but ONLY for lines that actually contain a
warning.

The proper solution should be to rework the Soot plugin so that it
implements a LineStyleListener. When this is done, then the listener
can effectively customize how warnings are painted, and avoid the
"yellow squiggles trampling over the color annotations".

In the meantime, I believe for you project you should simply get away
with disabling all of Eclipse's warnings. Then the color tags should
show up just fine.

Eric