[Soot-list] Search for information flow tracking tool

Sunny sunfire001 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 28 15:32:46 EST 2008

Hello Eric and Alvin.

Thanks for your quick responses!

Actually I am not quite sure whether this analysis belongs to information
flow tracking or slicing. But I read WASSIM A. MASRI's dissertation which
has the following definitions for the two cocepts:

*Information flow:* Information flow occurs from object *y *(*source*) to
object *x *(*target *or *sink*) whenever information stored in *y *is
propagated directly or indirectly to object *x*, .i.e., if information about
*y *can be inferred by examining *x*.
*Program Slicing*: Program Slicing is concerned with finding all statements
in a program that directly or indirectly influence another statement in a
program.

So I think this analysis is closer to the information flow tracking.
Anyways, they are closely related to each other and I will certainly take a
look at those tools you mentioned. Thank you for your time!

Cheers,

Sunny