[Soot-list] Beginner's points-to question

Eric Bodden eric.bodden at mail.mcgill.ca
Wed Jan 30 10:43:02 EST 2008

Hi, Richard. There is no whole-program must-alias analysis in Soot.
(and I think there is none on this planet) Points-to sets can only be
used to decide may-aliasing. Two variables cannot alias if their
points-to sets do not intersect.

Our SVN version of Soot has however an intraprocedural must-alias analysis:

soot.jimple.toolkits.pointer.LocalMustAliasAnalysis

Maybe that one is good enough for you?

If you find an interprocedural must-alias analysis or wish to develop
one, please let me know!

Eric

On 30/01/2008, Richard Warburton <richard.warburton at gmail.com> wrote:
> Having been through the section of the brics guide on program analysis
> on points-to analysis, I have to admit to a certain level of
> confusion.    Primarily as to how to compute a must-aliasing relation
> between two variables.  I am using SPARK.  If I have the PointsToSet
> instances for each variable, I can check their possible intersection,
> but how do I check their definite intersection?  If the phrasing of
> this question seems to imply that I have misunderstood the points-to
> implementation within soot, it would be quite helpful to see an
> example of how to compute the may and must aliasing relations from
> this analysis.
>
>   Richard Warburton

Eric Bodden
Sable Research Group