[Soot-list] Extending Soot

Eric Bodden bodden at st.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de
Sun Dec 6 04:20:40 EST 2009

Hi Attila.

> One big difference is that in VB (at least in the version I use), you can
> define arguments as In, Out, or InOut. This means, that the current ValueBox
> concept (useBox vs defBox) is not sufficient. How would you map InOut
> arguments to Jimple?

That is an interesting question. The only "solution" I could come up
with is to introduce some "box" or "wrapper" type, which is passed as
parameter by value in such cases so that then you can assign to this
box in an out parameter.

> Are there already any tools to compile VB to Jimple, VB to bytecode or
> similar?

None that I am aware of. But such a tool would certainly be very nice
to have - and even better if it did support the whole .NET
intermediate language.