[Soot-list] stack-based to 3-address form, accepted as Scala project at Google Summer of Code

Miguel Garcia miguel.garcia at tuhh.de
Thu Mar 18 16:40:10 EDT 2010

Hi,

As a follow-up to my previous post on "from stack-based ICode to 3-address
ICode", I wanted to mention that the Scala team has been accepted as
mentoring organization [1] to this year's Google Summer of Code program.
According to the timeline, we're at "March 18-29: Would-be student
participants discuss application ideas with mentoring organizations"

So why not put in action all your program analysis expertise with a
rewarding topic? [2]

In a nutshell, one of the backend phases of the Scala compiler [3] uses the
ICode stack-based language, a common denominator between JVM's and CLR's
bytecode languages. Now, if only a transformer into 3-address form were
available (did I mention that the Scala compiler supports a plugin
architecture?). The theoretical details have already been worked out [4] [5]
(thanks!) and what better way to impress the Scala community than by
generating C# from that 3-address form? (also here, previous work available
[6] [7]).

Sounds interesting enough to me :-)

We've done our homework, now it's your turn!

Miguel
http://www.sts.tu-harburg.de/people/mi.garcia/

[1] http://socghop.appspot.com/gsoc/program/accepted_orgs/google/gsoc2010

[2] Project idea No. 9: A new backend for the Scala.Net compiler to generate
C# sources.
    http://www.scala-lang.org/node/5542

[3] The Scala Compiler Corner,
http://www.sts.tu-harburg.de/people/mi.garcia/ScalaCompilerCorner

[4] Efficient Local Type Inference,
http://progtools.comlab.ox.ac.uk/publications/oopsla08abc

[5] Efficient inference of static types for Java bytecode,
    http://www.sable.mcgill.ca/publications/papers/2000-2/sable-paper-2000-2.ps

[6]
http://www.sts.tu-harburg.de/people/mi.garcia/ScalaCompilerCorner/StacklessICode.pdf

[7]